Unless you’re in the business of travel, it’s entirely possible you are experiencing a summer business slump, particularly now when the economy is less than stellar. But, rather than wallow in your diminishing return of profits, use this period wisely to:
- Flush out marketing areas you don’t usually have time for
- Make this awesome coffee bourbon barbecue sauce!
1. Build out your case studies1
Here’s a format for developing your case studies so you have them ready to go for busier times of the year:
a. Customer description
b. Customer challenges
c. Solution – how the customer solved their issues using your product or service
d. Results – stay focused on the customer and weave your company into that story
2. Join Festivals and Fairs2
Local festivals and fairs offer good opportunity for sponsorship which can give your brand a boost by introducing new and potential customers to what you have to offer.
3. Run a Contest
Generate some publicity for your business by creating a summer contest. Try and tie your prize to something that increases the likelihood that people will utilize your business.
Brainstorm and create that newsletter you’ve always wanted to start for your business and write some of the content to get a head start.
5. Write a Press Release
Write a press release about summer business within your industry. If you need help with writing one check out our press release tips article.
6. Awesome Coffee Bourbon Barbecue Sauce3 (5 minutes prep, 15 total)
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Simmer all ingredients in a 2 1/2- to 3-quart heavy saucepan, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until reduced to about 1 cup, 15 to 20 minutes (sauce will be thin). Cool to room temperature. Serve with steak or chicken.
- Summer Studies: Building a Business Case
- 5 Hot Summer Marketing Tips for Small Businesses
- Coffee Bourbon Barbeque Sauce