Email marketing is alive and well and still an effective method for generating sales. Emails allow you to target, be proactive, and gather data, all at the same time. The following tips must-haves are guidelines to get you going, or improve on your current email marketing.
1. Short Snappy Paragraphs1
Despite what your 7th grade English teacher, Mrs. Barrow, taught you about developing paragraphs, aim for paragraphs that are from one to six lines. This not only makes your email easier to read it makes your content more visually appealing.
2. Clear Design and Call to Action
Create a clean design with good graphics that allows your reader to easily see the point of your email – which leads us to the call to action. First, make sure you have one. It should be bold, simple, and obvious. Whatever it is you’re asking the reader to do through the email, make it easy for them to do so.
3. Must-have Include list
- Provide a forward-to-a-friend link
- Provide a subscription link
- Add-to-safe-senders-list request
- Link to a Web version
- Provide a telephone contact number
- Display the recipient’s email address
- Provide an email address for feedback or sender contact
- Provide navigation links within the email and to the Web site
- Unsubscribe link
Over the long run, you need to discover for yourself, and your business, what types of emails work best for your target audience. For every rule of thumb there is for creating good emails, you can find an exception, someone who ignores the rule and yet is still hugely successful.
To determine what is most effective for your readership you need to conduct tests – subject line tests, text length tests, image tests, and so on. So as you begin, or continue with your email marketing, venture forth to discover what works best for you. And don’t forget to integrate your email information with your social media.
- Two Sure Ways to Make Your Email Copy Sing
- If My Dentist Understands Email Marketing, So Can You!
- Email Marketing Best Practices – The Ten Most Likely to be Ignored